#198 Show Notes
Co-Hosts: John S., Patrick
Time: Saturday, June 28th 2:00 PM EDT
Host and Co-host specific notes are displayed like this
All Hosts and Co-Hosts must read “How to Host an Episode of Podcast 17” before coming on the show. The host needs to read chapter 1 but all hosts/cohosts must read Chapter 2 and 3. Remember to read the tips at the bottom of the agenda... they are a summary of the changes being enacted for this episode.
Intros and Heads Up!
Free range segment where you talk about what mods/games you have been playing. This is where you will mention new mods but don’t focus on them like media blitz If it doesn’t feel natural, drop it.
- New youtube videos:
- Fodderstompf Door Ville: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw7ATNE5H88
- Anna Waklthrough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrEsIVVBzgg
- Xen Let’s Play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67gSFo2w8Ns
- Gonarch Lair Let’s Play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NijZfl_5UDc
Podcast 17 News
- New experimental format
- Submit Discussion Topics
- Taking submissions for sidecasts.podcast17.com
- Contact thelastlambda or email@example.com for details
- New & updated social media sites Facebook , Twitter, and Google+
- Looking for people who want to be writers, Hosts/co-hosts, reviewers, video creators, content creators, coders, musician, and web site developers
Follow-Up & Errata
- Discussed Last week, anyone who plays it this week can talk about it -- also there is a let’s play up
- Linux discussion folllowup: Gabe Newell digs a little deeper on why he thinks Linux development is important, he believes Windows 8 will be a giant failure and he fears OEMs will move to different OS’s:
From the Mouth of Valve
- QuakeCon 2012 Valve Lineup
Releases and Updates
We are only going to be discussing and reviewing mods if majority of the hosts have played them. If you are struggling to say something or just making general statements about it, just move on.
- Escape by Leo
- L4D2 Update, Cold Stream, mutations, L4D1 campaign updates
- PayDay DLC
- Sven Coop Linux Server version finally after 11 years!! + changelog for 4.7 (unreleased)
Mention to submit community discussion topics to the google doc form
- Why Viktor (concept artist of Half-life 2) left Valve Software 7 years ago. What does this mean for other developers at Valve? Has Valve been losing focus since they released Half-Life 2, or are they in fact getting too focused on singular projects? Why does everyone think Valve is losing lots of talent, and having to look into other places for newer talent? Is such a conception true at all? - William
- A proposal for SteamGreenlight Rating system. Does this worry any of the cohosts, do they think that new content will have a hard time rising to the top? What other ways can Steam promote new content -- perhaps a featured section? Will Steam badges factor into Greenlight? How can Steam promote users to “thumbs up” or “upvote” new content
- What do you think Valve has in store concerning open-source OpenGL drivers? How will this benefit gamers, modders and developers, and what are the possible reasons for it? And is a greater focus on OpenGL architecture a technological powerplay that will benefit people in a similar way? And generally, does this kind of OpenGL development go beyond Valve’s intentions with Linux itself? - Vic
- Summer sale aftermath, what have you purchased, why and what do you think were some of the best deals? Note: If you purchased a lot of stuff check your email history for steam receipts. - William
- With Valve planning on offering software in the future, is it a step in the right direction considering their userbase? -Gerardo
- It seems AAA survival horror is out the door, gone are the days where Resident Evil would actually scare us. Is it now up to the indie scene to keep survival horror alive? With games like Slender, Amnesia, Sole Survivor etc. and no actual scary AAA games. I was telling a coworker how scary “Slender” was... and he said to me “I haven’t been scared by a video game in 10 years” I found this shocking, but then realized he was only playing AAA games. I told him to play Slender and he was extremely surprised the next day. What are the consequences of this death of true survival horror? - William
- Can we think of any new payment schemes for video games? - William
- “Let’s talk about Death!!”. Death in video games can be more than just a respawn... let’s discuss some ways that we have experienced death in video games that were unique or game changing. Anything from perma death like in Eve Online to simple respawns in TF2. Things like respawn timers, death penalties, having to replay areas of a scary game, frustration, games you can’t die like Heavy Rain, consequences of death, games with no death consequences. Lives in games like Mario. Games like ARMA which have HEAVY consequences. - William
- Can Half-Life 3 Surprise Us? For five years, the Half-Life community has been seeming with theories on how the saga of Gordon, Alyx and the Combine can finally end. We've had theories ranging from the thought-provoking to the painfully obvious to the outlandish, and everything in between. Marc Laidlaw has made it clear that HL will evolve, change and improve with its next installment. "Whatever we do next, I think we all expect it to be better than we’ve done before...while we don’t want to repeat ourselves, it could be argued that HL1 and HL2 are very different, and that whatever happens next in the HL series can be very different from the preceding games but still be very good." (2008 letter, Marc Laidlaw Vault) However, Half-Life 3 now faces the daunting task of accomplishing all of that while still retaining continuity with the Episodes, and though many still hope for a standalone Episode 3, that hope diminishes with each new comment by Valve on the subject. Can Half-Life 3 surprise us? - Lilgreenman
N3 D (Non-Noteworthy News & Discussion)
Put all former media blitz items here and other news that would not be good for discussion. This news will NOT be featured on the podcast and will just be used as a resource. If one of these topics can become a discussion move it to there and add the major point you will be discussing.
- WHY DOES THIS MOD EXIST
- One of the better source film maker videos, thanks DaFatCat:
- Grey Preview, not a very good review from Rock Paper Shotgun:
- Steam Hardware Survey July Update
Post-Show Play Session
Get a chance to play a game with the cast and crew of P17. Join us in our mumble server (220.127.116.11:2812) to talk with us after the show. Feel free to come back during the week and talk/play with other community members.
- Svencoop? In celebration of the Linux server release? - William
Tips to Remember!
- Make sure to complete your BIO for the new Staff page by August 5th.
- Discuss! It is okay to derail a little and get off topic, thats what makes it interesting instead of just sticking to a script.
- Please remember discussions are BACK and FORTH conversations, going around in a circle, asking people’s opinions, and then moving on is not discussing. Discussion may mean X talks for 5 minutes, Y rebuts for 3 minutes, X rebuts for another 5 minutes, and then Z interjects with his own opinion different from the previous two.
- Things to remember after the 15 minute mark no more news discussion. I’ll be timing it but if I am not there the host should be doing the same.
- Read the mandatory reading on how to debate and speak.
- Also this document will eventually go live on the rough agenda page so please do not screw it up or all editing privileges will be revoked.
- Remember to mention the
- Talk about your own experiences/ new games “Heads Up”
- Try to keep the show between 60 to 75 minutes