The format of Podcast 17 is changing and we need your help! We have spent some time during last week trying to decide on a new format and we came to the following conclusions:
- Podcast 17 is stagnating – The format is becoming too familiar and is becoming a little boring to listen to.
- Podcast 17 is just a regurgitation of ModDB or PlanetPhillip – We are beginning to concentrate less on discussion and more on just spitting the news out each week. This makes for a very uninteresting show.
- Podcast 17 is getting too long – With every week we add more and more links to the agenda making it impossible for both the co hosts and listeners to keep up to date.
- The hosts and co hosts often show up unprepared – It’s true and we will be the first to admit it. Everyone at Podcast 17 has lives outside of the show, and even though that isn’t an excuse, it’s hard to cover everything in the detail it deserves.
- Too little community involvement – It’s a shame that we don’t involve the listeners as much as we should be. Podcast 17 seems to be revolving around the opinions of a selected few individuals instead of grabbing the opinions of the community as a whole.
So with all that said we hope to experiment and decide on a new show format. If you have listened to Episode #74 you will hear that we have made the first steps towards this goal, but we are far from reaching a final decision.
A lot of people have been asking me what I hope to accomplish with Podcast 17 and initially I wanted Podcast 17 to be a weekly round-up of the news and events in the modding community. Now, however, I’m starting to realize how detrimental that is to the shows integrity. Why listen to a two hour Podcast each week only to hear the same things you can read from various sites across the Internet? This is not an option for the future.
I still value each and every news post created by various mod teams around the community sphere, but unfortunately I don’t think we can continue to cover them as we have been in the past. Don’t get me wrong, I believe mod teams should continue to update us on the progress of their creations, but I believe Podcast 17 is becoming something different than “a news outlet”.
We tossed around various ideas on how to restructure Podcast 17… I suggested I do a quick 20min run down of the news “Evening News Style” just stating the facts then after-wards I would be joined by the co hosts of the show in a discussion period, but after careful consideration we decided that this solved nothing. We would still be regurgitating news every week and a portion of the Podcast would continue to be stagnated and boring.
Episode #74 is our proposed “pseudo-new format” – for those who listened we want to know what you thought and for those who didn’t, I kindly ask for you to listen and tell us if you have any suggestions or comments. In that episode I choose 2-4 things I was interested in and I asked Wills and Nick (aka Bluefire) to do the same. We simply started the episode with some basic “Podcast 17 News” and went straight into the discussion of the highlights of the week. We monitored some of the opinions of the the listeners in the steam chat and after the interview with DuckSauce we jumped right into the Post-show game session.
So you might be asking yourself… what about all the other news items from the week? What happens to them? Well, they still exist on the agenda and show-notes, but we just didn’t have time to cover them. That’s not to say that they “aren’t worthy of your time”; it just means they just weren’t any of our favourite items of the week. In the near-future episodes we hope to include “extended” show-notes for each episode with a better view of the weeks news with snippets of each item.
None of these changes mean anything without listener input. I can’t stress this enough, we need your suggestions/comments/complaints/flames… whatever… tell us how you think we should format Podcast 17. Use the comments feature below to post your suggestions/ideas or if your concerns are a little more personal feel free to email us at email@example.com
So with that said, I hope you enjoy the coming changes and please bare with us while we find our new groove.
William — Owner/Operator, Podcast 17.